Effective as of February 20, 2008
- The personal identifying information we collect
- Reasons we collect personal identifying information
- Minimum age of 13 required to establish an account
- Ways in which personal identifying information may be used
- With whom personal identifying information may be shared
- Security measures to protect information entrusted to XAP and Private College Zone
- Modifying and deleting your information
Except as set forth below, personally identifiable data you enter on Private College Zone is not made available or distributed to third parties, except with your express consent or at your express direction. In particular, Private College Zone and XAP will not give, sell, or provide access to your personal information to any company, individual or organization for its use in marketing or commercial solicitation or for any other purpose, except with your express consent, at your direction, as is necessary for the operation of this site, or pursuant to one of the exceptions listed below.
THE PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Private College Zone collects personal identifying information from you including, but not limited to, your name, date of birth, address, e-mail address, telephone number, grade level, parent's contact information, Social Security number, such additional information as you choose to include in your user profile or are required to provide by the college and financial aid applications that you choose to complete, and information associated with activities you have undertaken on Private College Zone.
REASONS WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
Private College Zone collects personal information from you for three primary reasons. The first reason is to perform a task on Private College Zone, such as filling out a specific college admission application, requested by you. The second reason is to enable you to submit in a convenient and efficient manner information that is likely to be needed when you complete college admission, financial aid and other applications and forms made available through Private College Zone, or undertake a scholarship search on Private College Zone. The third reason is to enable XAP to respond to your questions or contact you when necessary in connection with the functioning of Private College Zone. When the effective functioning of a Private College Zone module does not require personal information, none is collected, and any such module can be accessed without opening an account or providing any personal data.
When you log on to Private College Zone, your browser will automatically transmit to Private College Zone's server the IP address of your computer and type of browser you are using. Although your browser transmits the IP address of your computer, Private College Zone does not associate this IP address with any personally identifiable information regarding you. Private College Zone does not collect any personally identifiable information other than what users submit and their browsers transmit.
MINIMUM AGE OF 13 REQUIRED TO ESTABLISH AN ACCOUNT
Private College Zone will not collect any information from persons who are not yet 13 years old. If you are under 13 years of age, you are not authorized to create an account on Private College Zone, but you can utilize those portions of Private College Zone that do not involve the collection of personal information from users.
If you are 13 years of age or older, you are encouraged to create an account on Private College Zone and to utilize all of Private College Zone, which will help you plan, prepare and pay for your future education.
WAYS IN WHICH PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE USED
Private College Zone will use your personal identifying information to complete the following forms and surveys, to obtain information for you and to effect transactions on your behalf, in each case only upon your instructions to do so:
- Complete applications for admission
- Complete financial aid applications
- Complete financial aid calculators
- Complete a scholarship search
- Complete freshman planners, which can assist you in selecting courses and otherwise planning to meet admission requirements
- Communicate your requests for information or material to colleges or other institutions you have specified
Your personal identifying information may also be used for the following purposes:
- We may use your identifying information to help diagnose problems with Private College Zone's server and to administer the Private College Zone website.
- Summary data representing a compilation of aggregate data representing Private College Zone users may be collected by XAP and provided to various entities including colleges and other educational institutions represented on Private College Zone and Private College Zone's commerce partners. NO PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION IS MADE AVAILABLE AS PART OF THESE SUMMARY REPORTS. Some examples of summary data are the number of monthly visitors to the site, the number of admission applications submitted over Private College Zone, and the Private College Zone functions utilized by students in specified age or grade ranges.
WITH WHOM PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE SHARED
Any time you request that we perform a task that involves a transfer of data, the data related to the performance of that task will be made available to a recipient you designate or to a service provider assisting us in completing that task. For example:
- If you submit an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, the personal data required to complete that application will be provided on your behalf to the admissions office of the institution to which you are applying.
- If you start an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, your name and other data entered on that application may be provided to the admissions office of that institution, even though you have not yet submitted that application to that institution.
- If you request that your data be transferred to FAFSA on the Web to help you fill out your federal financial aid application, data relevant to that application will be provided to a processor specified and authorized to process your financial aid applications (FAFSA) by the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you request that a college or other educational institution send you material, your contact information will be provided to that institution.
- If you request that information saved in your MyMentor Portfolio be made available to your high school counselor, high school counseling office, or someone else you designate to perform in a comparable role, XAP will permit those whom you have authorized to view personally identifying information about you.
In addition, if you start an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, your name and other data entered on that application may be provided to the admissions office of that institution, even though you have not yet submitted that application to that institution.
SECURITY MEASURES TO PREVENT MISUSE OF INFORMATION ENTRUSTED TO Private College Zone
Private College Zone causes the data you input to be encrypted when in route between your browser and the Private College Zone server and when in route between the Private College Zone server and some other browser or server. This practice helps prevent unauthorized third parties from intercepting and gaining access to your private data during transmission over the Internet. Private College Zone uses 56-bit, Secure Socket Layer encryption supported by both Netscape's and Microsoft's browsers.
Data residing on the Private College Zone server is password protected, and access is provided only to the account holder who created the password, anyone to whom that account holder entrusted the password, and those employees of XAP who require such access to administer and maintain the Private College Zone system or to provide requested customer support to users of Private College Zone. Each XAP employee who has access to the data residing on the Private College Zone server has agreed in writing to respect the privacy of all such personal data.
Don't want cookies?
MODIFYING AND DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
You may update, otherwise modify or delete from the data stored on Private College Zone any personal information you previously provided. To modify personal information, (i) log on to Private College Zone, (ii) access either your user profile or an application containing the information you want to change, and (iii) modify that information using standard word-processing techniques. To delete personal information that is a required field to be completed in your profile, you will need to contact XAP at 1-800-GOTO-XAP and request that your profile be deleted. Please recognize that if you delete information, it will no longer be available on Private College Zone so that, for example, if a college to which you previously submitted an application were to attempt to retrieve that application from Private College Zone after you made the deletion the deleted information would no longer be accessible. Similarly, when accessed over Private College Zone, information that has been updated or otherwise modified will appear in its then-most current form, rather than in the form in which it may have been submitted at some earlier time.